- apply for a job with us;
- use our website www.gia.uk.com; or
- contact us.
What personal information do we collect about you?
We collect and process the following personal information:
- information that you provide which enables us to provide our services to you;
- information on our prospective employees necessary for us to fulfil our duties as your prospective employer;
- information you provide by filling in forms on our website;
- information about your use of our site, including website traffic data and cookies.
The kind of personal information we collect includes (but is not limited to):
- full name and contact details (such as your email address, phone number, postal address);
- if you are to contact us, we may keep a record of your correspondence; and
- links to your professional profiles which are already available in the public domain or social media (e.g. LinkedIn, Land Registry etc).
For those applying for a role at GIA, along with the above personal information we may also collect the following:
- government issued IDs (such as passport(s), National Insurance number)
- information about your past and current employment, your education, other professional qualifications and/or your evidence of your right to work in the UK;
- your next of kin & emergency contact details;
- contact details of the references provided by you.
We may also collect sensitive personal information about you where you have given your explicit consent, which includes:
- health or medical information (for example details of any special assistance you may require, or any sick leave taken during previous roles);
- racial or ethnic origin;
- political opinions;
- religious beliefs;
- trade union membership and
- biometric data.
Where do we collect your personal information?
We may collect your personal information from the following sources:
- through application and contact forms on our website;
- from information that that you may provide to us in personal statements or CVs (where applicable);
- from additional information provided by you during the various stages of a recruitment process;
- from information provided by you at a recruitment or networking event;
- in the course of us providing our services to you;
- via publicly available sources such as social media sites, job boards and corporate websites;
- through referrals or references (for example, a recommendation given to us about you from a colleague or friend, recruitment agency, a former employer or a current employer);
How do we use your personal information?
Use Case Purpose Categories of data collected Source Legal basis
Operating our website To market our services Full name and email addresses.
We obtain this data from you directly when you complete the ‘Contact Us’ form. It is our legitimate interest to ensure that our site is operating properly, to provide and personalise our service, to detect and prevent fraudulent behaviour and to protect from loss.
In anticipation of an employment contract between you and us or our group companies. To process your job application, help us check and confirm any references provided by you, confirm compliance with any regulatory, industry and/or security authorities relevant to the position that you are applying for and otherwise manage the recruitment process.
Full name and contact details (such as your email address, phone number, postal address), a record of your correspondence, links to your professional profiles (e.g. LinkedIn, Land Registry etc), government issued IDs (such as passport(s), National Insurance number), information about your past and current employment, your education, other professional qualifications and/or your evidence of your right to work in the UK, your next of kin & emergency contact details, contact details of your references. We obtain this data from you directly when you make an application to us. We will have your express consent to provide you with this information by way of you making your job application to us.
To communicate news to you about our products and services. To market our services and products. Full name, email address, postal address, telephone number and/or other electronic means, your current employment information. We obtain this data from you directly. We will have your express consent to provide you with this information.
To contact you with information about job opportunities. To reach prospective candidates for roles at GIA. Full name, email address, postal address, telephone number and/or other electronic means, current employment information We either obtain this data from you directly when you consent to these communications, from an authorised agent or from an employee of GIA who has provided your details via our referral scheme. We, the authorised agent or the GIA employee will have your express consent to provide you with this information.
To record our telephone, video or email correspondence with you. To train staff, monitor our services and ensure we are complying with our legal and regulatory obligations Full name, email address, postal address, telephone number and/or other electronic means. We obtain this data from you directly. We will have your express consent to make these recordings.
To collect information from you in order to provide our services for our clients. To provide our services including sending fee proposals and Party Wall notices (etc). Full name, email address, postal address, telephone number and/or other electronic means. We obtain this data from you directly or from an authorised agent. We or the authorised agent will have your express consent to provide you with this information.Storing Your Personal Information:
Providing us with your own personal information is entirely at your own risk. Whilst we take reasonable steps to protect user privacy and use strict procedures to safeguard personal information, no data transmission over the internet can be entirely secure. We therefore do not guarantee the security of personal information that you send to us or that we receive through your use of the site. For example, where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password to access certain parts of our website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential.
Unless otherwise stated, we will hold all personal information processed through contractual and legitimate interests for the retention period that is necessary. These retention periods will be subject to review.
Personal information that we collect from you may on occasion be transferred, stored and processed outside of the UK or the European Union for the purpose of supplying our goods or services to you. By consenting to our use of your personal information, you also consent to this transfer, storing and/or processing. If such transfer, storage and/or processing occurs, we will ensure your personal information is adequately protected.
Disclosing Your Information
We will never pass your personal information to any third party, except where:
- we are required to do so in order to comply with our legal obligations; or
- To external communications agencies for marketing and strategic development purposes provided we disclose all personal information in the aggregate and in an anonymised form.
Please note, you may find links to third party websites on our website. We do not accept any responsibility or liability for their handling of your personal information.
You have the following rights when it comes to your information:
- Your right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information that we hold.
- Your right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify any information we hold that you think is inaccurate, out of date or incomplete. For example, if we have carried out any automated decision making as part of our recruitment practices (such as through applicant tracking systems), you have a right to contest any such decision and ask for a human intervention.
- Your right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information that we hold in certain circumstances.
- Your right to restriction of processing – You may have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information. For example, you have the right to withdraw consent in respect of any processing of your personal information which you previously gave consent.
- Our right to object to processing – You have the right to object to the processing of your personal information in certain circumstances. For example, you have the right to request removal of your contact details from our marketing communications lists.
- Your right to data portability – You may have the right to ask that we transfer the personal information you gave us to another organisation, or to you.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights and you can do so at any time. If you do choose to exercise one or more of your rights above, this is known as a ‘data subject access request’ or ‘DSAR’. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you (e.g. 30 days from the day you send us your DSAR).
If you would like to exercise one or more of your rights above, please contact Louise Parkin, our Data Protection Officer by:
- Writing to Louise Parkin, DPO, GIA Surveyors, The Whitehouse, 9a Belvedere Road, London SE1 8GA;
- E-mailing Louise Parkin at email@example.com inserting the words ‘Data Request’ in the heading; or
- Calling Louise Parkin at GIA at +44 (0)20 7202 1400.
Even if you don’t want a copy of your personal information, you can still contact us to check that the information that we hold is accurate or to let us know of any changes. We will be more than happy to make changes or to correct any inaccuracies.
If you are unhappy with how we have used your personal information, you can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”). GIA Surveyors’ ICO registration number is Z1609199 and its registered address is THE WHITEHOUSE, 9a BELVEDERE ROAD, LONDON SE1 8GA
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
This policy was last updated on 5th October 2021. We do keep our privacy policies under regular review so please do check each time you use the site. You’ll be able to read about any updates on this page – as soon as they happen.